OXFORDSHIRE BLUE PLAQUES SCHEME

Plaques awarded

The following Oxfordshire Blue Plaques have been erected in the city and county. Biographical details are linked to the names below.

Follow this pointer (which appears at the foot of each page) to view all the plaques alphabetically Next


Oxford City (MAP showing sites)
  • Sarah Angelina ACLAND (1849–1930), Photographer
    10 Park Town, Oxford
  • Ronnie BARKER (1929–2005),Actor and comedian
    23 Church Cowley Road, Oxford
  • Richard Meux BENSON (1824–1915), Vicar of Cowley and benefactor, founder of the Society of
    St John the Evangelist

    Former Mission House, 16 Marston Street, Oxford
  • Sir Isaiah BERLIN (1909–1997), Historian of ideas
    Headington House, Old High Street, Headington, Oxford
  • Elizabeth BOWEN (1899–1973), Writer
    The Coach House, The Croft, Headington, Oxford
  • John Henry BROOKES (1891–1975), Artist, craftsman, educationist
    195 The Slade, Headington, Oxford
  • John Chessell BUCKLER (1793–1894), Artist, antiquarian, architect
    58 Holywell Street, Oxford
  • Jane BURDEN (Mrs William Morris) 1839–1914, Pre-Raphaelite Muse
    St Helen’s Passage, off New College Lane, Oxford
  • Nirad C. CHAUDHURI (1897–1999), Writer
    20 Lathbury Road, Oxford
  • Captain Noel Godfrey CHAVASSE (1884–1917), V.C. and Bar
    Magdalen College School, Oxford
  • CIVIL WAR: Surrender of Oxford (1646)
    “Cromwell House”, 17 Mill Lane, Old Marston
  • Thomas COMBE (1796–1872) and Martha COMBE (1806–1893),
    Founders of St Barnabas, philanthropists and patrons of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
    St Barnabas’ Church, Jericho, Oxford
  • Sarah Jane COOPER (1848–1932), Marmalade maker
    83 High Street, Oxford
  • CUTTESLOWE WALLS (1934–1959)
    34 Aldrich Road, Oxford
  • Sir Richard DOLL ((1912–2005), Epidemiologist
    12 Rawlinson Road, Oxford
  • Daniel EVANS (1769–1846) and Joshua SYMM (1809–1887), Oxford builders
    34 St Giles’, Oxford
  • Maureen GARDNER (1928–1974), Athlete, ballet teacher
    17 Maidcroft Road, Cowley
  • Olive GIBBS (1918–1995), Councillor and campaigner
    Staircase 3, Christ Church Old Buildings, Oxford
  • Gathorne Robert GIRDLESTONE (1881–1950), Pioneering orthopaedic surgeon
    Nuffield Staff Accommodation, 72–74 Old Road, Headington, Oxford
  • J. S. HALDANE (1860–1936), Physiologist
    11 Crick Road, Oxford
  • Norman HEATLEY (1911–2004), Biochemist, key member of the Oxford penicillin team
    12 Oxford Road, Old Marston, Oxford
  • Dorothy Crowfoot HODGKIN, om, frs (1910–1994), Crystallographer, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
    94 Woodstock Road, Oxford
  • Cecil JACKSON-COLE (1901–1979), Philanthropist, founding member of Oxfam
    17 Broad Street, Oxford
  • William KIMBER (1872–1961), Headington Quarry morris dancer and musician
    42 St Anne’s Road, Headington, Oxford
  • Sir Hans KREBS (1900–1981), Biochemist and Nobel Laureate
    27 Abberbury Road, Iffley, Oxford
  • Edmund Arnold Greening LAMBORN (1877–1950),
    Headmaster, local historian, ‘Man of letters’, benefactor
    34 Oxford Road, Littlemore, Oxford
  • C. S. LEWIS (1898–1963), Scholar and author
    The Kilns, Lewis Close, Headington Quarry, Oxford
  • Salvador de MADARIAGA, Statesman, scholar and writer
    Box Tree House, 3 St Andrew’s Road, Old Headington, Oxford
  • Percy MANNING (1870–1917), Antiquary and folklorist
    300 Banbury Road, Summertown
  • William Richard MORFILL (1834–1909), First Professor of Russian and Slavonic Languages
    42 Park Town, Oxford
  • William MORRIS, Viscount Nuffield (1877–1963), Car-maker and philanthropist
    16 James Street, Cowley, Oxford
  • MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Scanner (1980)
    King’s Centre, Osney Mead, Oxford
  • Sir James MURRAY (1837–1915), Lexicographer and Editor of the OED
    78 Banbury Road, Oxford
  • Paul NASH (1889–1946), Artist
    106 Banbury Road, Oxford
  • Walter PATER (1838–1894), Author and scholar, and
    Clara PATER (1841–1910), pioneer of women’s education
    2 Bradmore Road, Oxford
  • OXFORD PLAYHOUSE First auditorium (1923–1938) and former Big Game Museum
    12 Woodstock Road, Oxford
  • Professor Sir Edward POULTON, frs (1856–1943), Evolutionary biologist, and
    Ronald POULTON (later Poulton Palmer) (1889–1915), rugby football hero
    Wykeham House, 56 Banbury Road, Oxford
  • Anne RIDLER (1912–2001), Poet, and Vivian RIDLER (1913–2009), Printer
    14 Stanley Road, Oxford
  • Sir Francis SIMON (1893–1956), Low-temperature physicist and philanthropist
    10 Belbroughton Road, Oxford
  • Felicia SKENE (1821–1899), Prison reformer and friend of the poor
    34 St Michael’s Street, Oxford
  • John STANSFELD (1854–1939), Parish priest, doctor
    Former Rectory, Paradise Square, St Ebbe’s, Oxford
  • STAR INN, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (1794)
    34 Cornmarket Street (Clarendon Centre), Oxford
  • SUB-FOUR MINUTE MILE (1954)
    Oxford University Sports Ground, Iffley Road, Oxford
  • Henry TAUNT (1842–1922), Photographer
    393 Cowley Road, Oxford
  • John Ronald Reuel TOLKIEN (1892–1973), Author and scholar
    20 Northmoor Road, Oxford
  • William TURNER ‘of Oxford’ (1789–1862), Artist
    16 St John Street, Oxford
  • Alan VILLIERS (1903–1982), Master of square-rigged ships, author, photographer
    1A Lucerne Road, Summertown, Oxford
  • Mary Arnold WARD (Mrs Humphry WARD) (1851–1920), Social reformer, novelist
    17 Bradmore Road, Oxford
  • William WILKINSON (1819–1901), Architect
    5 Beaumont Street, Oxford
  • Anthony à WOOD (1632–1695), Antiquary
    Postmasters’ Hall, Merton Street, Oxford

Cherwell (MAP showing sites)
  • Janet Heatley BLUNT (1859–1950), Folk song and morris dance collector
    Le Hall Place, Adderbury
  • William BUCKLAND (1784–1856), Geologist, Dean of Westminster
    The Old Rectory, Islip
  • General Sir Kenneth DARLING (1909–1998), Soldier and General
    Vicarage Farmhouse, Chesterton
  • Robert GRAVES (1895–1985), Poet and writer
    World's end, Collice Street, Islip
  • KNIBBSamuel (1625–c.1670), Joseph (1640–1711), John (1650–1722), Clockmakers
    The Church Room, Claydon
  • Frank LASCELLES (1875–1934), Pageant Master
    Manor House, Temple Mill Road, Sibford Gower, near Banbury
  • William LOGSDAIL (1859–1944), Artist
    The Manor House, Noke
  • William POTTS (1868–1949), Author and editor of the Banbury Guardian
    16 Parson Street, Banbury
  • L. T. C. (Tom) ROLT (1910–1974), Engineering historian, champion of Inland Waterways
    Towpath entrance to Tooley’s Boatyard, Banbury
  • Sir Bernhard SAMUELSON (1820–1905), Industrialist and educationist
    Banbury Library (formerly The Mechanics Institute), Banbury

South Oxfordshire (MAP showing sites)
  • Sir William BLACKSTONE (1723–1780), Judge and jurist
    Wallingford Town Hall
  • Henry BODDINGTON (1813–1886), Brewer
    14 (54) Wellington Street, Thame (site of former workhouse)
  • Alfred CAMPOLI (1906–1991), Violinist
    39 North street, Thame
  • Dame Agatha CHRISTIE (1890–1976), Author, with her husband,
    Sir Max MALLOWAN
    (1904–1978), Archaeologist
    Winterbrook House, Cholsey
  • James FIGG (1684–1734), Prize Fighter
    The James Figg Pub (formerly The Greyhound Inn), Cornmarket, Thame
  • Humphrey GAINSBOROUGH (1718–1776), Innovative engineer
    Christ Church United Reformed Church, Reading Road, Henley-on-Thames
  • Elizabeth GOUDGE (1900–1984), Writer
    Rose Cottage, Peppard Common, near Henley-on-Thames
  • Samuel E. SAUNDERS (1857–1933), Boat builder and engineer, pioneer of air and marine craft
    Former boathouse and showroom by the bridge at Goring-on-Thames
  • Jethro TULL (1674–1741), Agriculturalist and inventor of the seed drill
    19A The Street, Crowmarsh Gifford

Vale of White Horse (MAP showing sites)
  • John ALDER (c.1712–1780), Lottery winner and public benefactor
    39 Stert Street, Abingdon (formerly the Mitre Inn)
  • H. H. ASQUITH (1852–1928), Prime Minister
    The Wharf, 43 Church Street, Sutton Courtenay
  • Lord BERNERS, Gerald Tyrwhitt-Wilson, 14th Baron (1883–1950), Composer, writer, artist, eccentric
    Faringdon Folly Tower, Folly Hill, Faringdon (access lane from Stanford Road)
  • Sir John BETJEMAN (1906–1984), Poet, writer and broadcaster
    Garrards Farmhouse, Uffington
  • Raymond FFENNELL (1871–1944), Philanthropist, with Hope his wife and daughter Hazel
    Hill End Centre, Farmoor
  • Kenneth GRAHAME (1859–1932), Author
    Boham’s House, Westbrook Street, Blewbury
  • Cecil KIMBER (1888–1845), Creator of the MG marque
    The Boundary House, Oxford Road, Abingdon
  • William PENNEY, Baron Penney of East Hendred (1909–1991), Mathematical physicist and public servant
    Orchard House, Cat Street, East Hendred
  • Arthur Edwin PRESTON (1852–1942), Mayor and Antiquary, Historian of the borough, and restorer of its ancient buildings
    Whitefield, Park Crescent, Abingdon-on-Thames
  • RIPON HALL, former Liberal Anglican Theological College (1933–1975)
    Foxcombe Hall, Boar’s Hill
  • The Revd F. E. ROBINSON (1833–1910), Founding Master of Oxford Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers
    St Peter's Church, Drayton
  • Daniel TURNER (1710–1798), Baptist Minister, theologian, hymn writer
    35 Ock Street, Abingdon
  • Alfred WHITE (1804–1876), Innkeeper, church bellhanger, founder of Whites of Appleton
    The Greyhound, Besselsleigh

West Oxfordshire (MAP showing sites)
  • Mont ABBOTT (1902–1989), Carter, shepherd, storyteller
    Biddy’s Bottom, Fulwell, Enstone
  • William CARTER (1852–1920), Founder of Carterton
    Town Hall, Carterton
  • The COUNTRYMAN magazine at Burford (1949–2003) AND
    J. W. Robertson Scott (1866–1962), founding editor
    Greyhounds, Sheep Street, Burford
  • Sir Stafford CRIPPS (1889–1952), Statesman and benefactor
    The Village Centre, Filkins
  • Charles EARLY (1824–1912), Blanket manufacturer
    Witney Mill
  • Larcum KENDALL (1719–1790), Watchmaker
    Post Office, 8 Market Street, Charlbury, near site of cottage
  • Barbara PYM (1913–1980), Novelist
    Barn Cottage, High Street, Finstock
  • James Allen SHUFFREY (1859–1939), Artist
    7 Narrow Hill, Woodgreen
  • William SMITH (1815–1875), Blanket manufacturer
    8 Bridge Street, Witney
  • Revd Edward STONE (1702–1768), Discoverer of the active ingredient in aspirin
    Former Hitchman Brewery, West Street, Chipping Norton
  • General Sir Montagu STOPFORD (1892–1971), Burma Campaign
    Rock Hill, Chipping Norton
  • Reginald TIDDY (1880–1916), Collector of folk plays, local benefactor
    Tiddy Hall (the Village Hall), Ascott-under-Wychwood
  • WESTFIELD HOUSE, Refuge for Basque children (1937–1939)
    Aston, near Bampton

Follow this pointer at the foot of each page to view them all   Next

© Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board

 

Email: oxfordshireblueplaques@gmail.com